When you first notice hair loss, your first instinct is to panic. If you are not experiencing an obvious medical emergency or have a known medical condition, then hair loss can come as a shock to anyone. In women, there can be several common causes for moderate to severe hair loss at any age. Some of these common causes for hair loss include:
- Hypothyroidism- Millions of Americans, mostly women, suffer from some form of thyroid disease. This means that the hormones produced by the thyroid will at a level that is too high or too low for your body.
- Telogen effluvium- Larger amounts of hair tend to be lost during the processes of shampooing, styling, and brushing. This typically occurs after severe weight loss, severe stress, major surgery, and pregnancy.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome- This condition occurs in women when their ovaries produce higher levels of male hormones, like testosterone. This tends to cause hair loss in some areas, but hair growth in others.
- Hereditary- This is the most common cause of hair loss. Also known as androgenetic alopecia, mothers and fathers can pass down genetics that cause hair loss.
- Iron Deficiency Anemia- This condition causes hair loss when the blood lacks enough red blood cells. This means there is a lack of oxygen being produced throughout the body.
- Lupus- About 1.5 million Americans suffer from this autoimmune disease. When infected, the immune system begins to attack the healthy tissue of the body.
- Scalp Infections- Different scalp conditions and infections can cause moderate to severe hair loss. When the scalp is unhealthy, hair follicles are more likely to be affected. Conditions that typically cause hair loss include fungal infections and dandruff.
At Wigs and Hair Solutions, we help our clients with their hair loss. If you find yourself experiencing hair loss, call us to discuss options. We specialize in custom synthetic and human hair wigs, partial pieces, and toppers to cover any level of hair loss. Whether your hair loss is only temporary or a permanent occurrence, our stylists will be able to create the look you want with a high quality wig, topper, or partial piece.
To schedule an initial consultation with Wigs and Hair Solutions in Columbia, call us today at 410-720-8588. You can also visit us in the Medical Pavilion at Howard County.