At Wigs and Hair Solutions, we help women through hair loss due to a number of different health and medical reasons. Our job is to help our clients through the process, whatever it may be, and reach a place where they are back to feeling like themselves again. We make sure to understand all of the causes for hair loss so that we may customize our service to meet the client’s needs. One of the more commonly seen causes of hair loss that we see is from chemotherapy.
Chemotherapy is the treatment of cancer through powerful medication. The medicines used to attack the cancer cells unfortunately attack other cells within the body, including those found in your hair roots. This then leads to the loss of hair in patients. The speed and intensity of hair loss varies from patient to patient and depends on the type of medicine being used and its strength. The loss of hair can range from only thinning to losing all hair completely. Most patients can expect hair loss after the first three weeks of treatment. Hair loss can begin gradually with some strands here and there, or quickly in clumps. It’s common for patients to find hair in their brushes, in the drains of their shower, and even on their pillows in the morning. While there is no treatment currently to prevent the loss of hair during chemotherapy, there are some steps patients can take to make the process easier.
- Cut your hair in a short bob or pixie cut. This will help your hair look fuller during the initial loss and will make the loss less dramatic.
- Stop any color, perm, or other hair treatments before your chemotherapy. This will help your hair to become stronger before the process begins.
- Make an appointment at Wigs and Hair Solutions. Talk to one of our stylists about a custom wig during and after your treatment. If your loss is only as severe as thinning, we also offer partial pieces and toppers.
- Continue to be easy on your hair and scalp. Use gentle products like gentle shampoos and a soft bristled brush.
- Shave the rest of your remaining hair. This will eliminate scalp irritation and will reduce a patchy appearance.
- Partner with your stylist at Wigs and Hair Solutions to discuss wig options and styles.
- Never stop being gentle with your scalp. If you expect to be exposed to intense temperatures or weather conditions, protect your scalp with your wig or other covering product like a hat or scarf.
- Be patient with your hair growth. Continue to partner with your stylist at Wigs and Hair Solutions. If you reach a point where a wig is no longer needed, we can discuss partial pieces and toppers with you until your hair is back to where you want it to be.
To get started with Wigs and Hair Solutions, give us a call at 410-720-8588. You can also follow us on Google+, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.
*The writer of this article is not a medical professional. Information contained herein has been collected from sources believed to be reliable, and every precaution has been taken to ensure its accuracy. The information provided here is for general informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical care.