If you are faced with the reality of having to wear a wig because of hair loss, you may feel depressed and overwhelmed. Women take pride in their hair, so having it lost to be replaced with a wig can be a difficult reality to face. However, with a positive outlook and the right kind of wig, this new reality can be easy to get used to. If that isn’t enough encouragement, maybe these fun wig facts can help!
- The word “wig” was adapted from the original English word “periwig”, which was a wig worn by judges and aristocrats. It is estimated that the word “wig” was used starting around the year 1675.
- The use of wigs has dated back to ancient Egyptian times, where wigs were worn to protect the shaved heads of the Egyptians.
- “The Virgin Queen”, Queen Elizabeth I, was known for owning at least 150 wigs.
- The Oxford English Dictionary has the definition of a wig as either a “kind of bun” or a “small cake made from fine flour.”
- Mozart had to wear wigs because of a deformity to his left ear.
- The term “bigwig” originated during colonial times when it was mandatory that officials and aristocrats had to wear wigs. The bigger your wig, the higher your reputation.
- During 1765, a petition was created and signed by wig makers. The petition was to ask George the Third to make it a law that specific professions must wear wigs.
- Britain government officials still wear wigs to show respect for the office in which they serve.
- The Lord of the Rings the Two Towers is the winner for most wigs ever made for a single movie.
- The most expensive wig ever auctioned off was one that belonged to Andy Warhol, which sold at $10,800.
At Wigs and Hair Solutions, we help our clients with their hair loss. If you find yourself experiencing hair loss, call us to discuss options. We specialize in custom synthetic and human hair wigs, partial pieces, and toppers to cover any level of hair loss. Whether your hair loss is only temporary or a permanent occurrence, our stylists will be able to create the look you want with a high quality wig, topper, or partial piece.
To schedule an initial consultation with Wigs and Hair Solutions in Columbia, call us today at 410-720-8588. You can also visit us in the Medical Pavilion at Howard County.