When cancer patients begin their chemotherapy treatments, they begin to notice changes to their body as the medication becomes active. One of the most common effects of chemotherapy is hair loss. While hair loss is normal while undergoing treatment, it can still be a difficult and upsetting thing to deal with. Here are some steps on how to handle your hair loss during and after chemotherapy.
- Chemotherapy patients should understand the type of hair loss they could face during treatment. Bracing yourself for hair loss occurring on your head and face will help with the shock once the loss actually occurs.
- Never stop caring for your scalp. As you lose your hair, your scalp can become dry and sensitive. Continue to shampoo your scalp with a gentle cleanser to keep the skin moisturized. Rubbing a lotion on your scalp daily can also help to prevent irritation and help keep your scalp moisturized.
- Be gentle with your hair while you still have it. Avoid styling your hair or using harsh products as you begin your treatment to make your hair last. Use a soft brush to get out tangles in your hair and sleep with a hair net or satin pillowcase to help prevent hair from snagging or being pulled.
- As new hair attempts to grow back, consider shaving until treatment is complete. New hair growth can cause scalp irritation and make your head uncomfortable.
- Protect your scalp from cold weather and sun exposure. Cold temperatures can cause irritation and sensitivity while sun exposure, even in the colder months, can cause sunburn. Use soft hats, wigs, and scarves to protect your scalp from harsh weather conditions.
At Wigs and Hair Solutions, we help our clients with their hair loss after chemotherapy. If you find yourself experiencing hair loss, call us to discuss options. We specialize in custom synthetic and human hair wigs, partial pieces, and toppers to cover any level of hair loss. Whether your hair loss is only temporary or a permanent occurrence, our stylists will be able to create the look you want with a high quality wig, topper, or partial piece.
To schedule an initial consultation with Wigs and Hair Solutions in Columbia, call us today at 410-720-8588. You can also visit us in the Medical Pavilion at Howard County.