Skip Navigation

10710 Charter Dr, Suite G050, Columbia, MD 21044

410.720.8588

What to Know About Postpartum Hair Loss

According to the American Pregnancy Association, postpartum hair loss affects between 40 and 50 percent of women.

According to the American Pregnancy Association, postpartum hair loss affects between 40 and 50 percent of women.

Expectant mothers experience rising estrogen levels during pregnancy, and this change often slows down the natural cycle of hair shedding. Some women experience fuller hair as a result, but others lose large portions of their hair during or after pregnancy. If you have experienced postpartum hair loss, it’s important to know that it’s common and often temporary. Read on to learn more.

The Resting Phase

During pregnancy, about 10% of a woman’s hair enters in a resting phase. The other 90% of the hair continues to grow, with the resting hairs falling out every two to three months. The excess hair in the resting phase gives the appearance of lustrous locks for some women. Hair loss doesn’t typically begin until three months after childbirth. The estrogen levels return to normal, and all of the hair in the resting phase falls out at once, resulting in shedding or bald patches.

It’s Often Temporary

There are several reasons why a woman might lose her hair during or after childbirth. For example, hair loss may also occur if the mother experiences extreme stress during or after pregnancy. If hormonal changes caused your hair loss, it will often grow back within a year of losing it. Hair growth depends on the person as it can take several months for hormone levels to return to normal. If your hair does not grow back within a year, your hair loss may have occurred for another reason. Speak to a doctor to determine the cause of your hair loss.

There Are Steps You Can Take

Postpartum hair loss is unpreventable, but there are certain steps you can take to promote hair growth after you give birth to your child. Follow a healthy diet during and after your pregnancy. A good, balanced diet will benefit your hair growth and the health of your new baby (if you breastfeed). Avoid using hair curlers or straightening irons, and limit your hair washing to one to two times a week.

Visit Wigs and Hair Solutions

Whether your hair loss is minor or severe, talking to a local wig and hair replacement specialist can help. At Wigs and Hair Solutions, you can choose the wig, hair topper, or hairpiece that fits you best. If you’re not ready to wear a wig just yet, schedule a consultation regardless. There are always options for women with hair loss.

At Wigs and Hair Solutions, we help our clients with their hair loss. We specialize in human hair wigs, partial pieces, and toppers to cover any level of hair loss. Whether your hair loss is only temporary or a permanent occurrence, or is medically-related, Bonnie will be able to create the look you want with a high-quality wig, topper, or partial piece.

To schedule a private initial consultation with Wigs and Hair Solutions in Columbia, call us today at 410-720-8588. You can visit us online or send us an email at wigsandhairsolutions@gmail.com with any questions or concerns.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for news and updates.

This entry was posted on Friday, March 1st, 2019 at 11:57 am. Both comments and pings are currently closed.